ORGANIZERS:

Ruta N    Alcaldía de Medellín    Linq    Alcaldía Quito    Paris    People for Global    afc   


PARTNERS:

Idata    Argos    NDI

SOCIAL INCLUSION

Cities play a crucial role addressing the global challenges of inclusion. This year, the combined wealth of the richest 1 percent will take over that of the other 99 percent. Our world is going through an unprecedented wave of urbanization, with over half of the population living in cities and nearly seventy percent projected by 2050. Cities are the main source of global economic growth, innovation and productivity; they have historically been an engine of social mobility, carrying out a large part of public spending. Cities also account for most resource consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and have seen inequalities soar in the last decades.

Inclusion is a complex and multifaceted challenge which goes beyond income inequalities. In their pursue of urban development, cities wish to address the legitimate needs of all its inhabitants -in terms of education, labor, housing, environment, infrastructure and public services- enhancing people’s livelihoods, and ensuring that everyone is included in city governance. Cities are looking for a new lens that focuses on living standards and well-being outcomes. They are also looking for new indicators, new policy tools and tangible solutions to deliver inclusive growth and development.

THE EVENT

Habitat III is the place where the New Urban Agenda will be agreed upon, providing the opportunity to reflect on the aforementioned issues and impact the global agenda with relevant proposals for solutions.

For this reason, a global alliance of civil society organizations, government agencies and municipalities has come together to organize The Cities For Life Prep-Com Meeting The Future of Urban Innovation: Cities as engines for social inclusion, an Habitat III Side Event that will take place on Monday 17th and Tuesday 18th of October, at PUCE University in Quito, Ecuador.

The goals of the event are to:

• Foster an ecosystem of open innovation based in city collaboration and citizen co-creation.

• Think forward on the new trends of urban innovation.

For further information please download the event's Concept Note here.

SPEAKERS

Mauricio Rodas
Mayor - Quito
Federico Gutierrez
Mayor - Medellín
Steven Adler
Chief Data Strategist - IBM
Janette Sadik-Khan
Principal - Bloomberg Associates
Nigel Jacob
Co-Chair, Mayor's - Office of New Urban Mechanics
Alejandro Franco
Director - Ruta N
Carolina Pozo
Executive Director - LINQ Quito Innovation Lab
Salvador Villaseñor
Director of Employment and Entrepreneurship - Municipality of Zapopan
Jean-Louis Missika
Deputy Mayor - Paris
Sam Pitroda
Telecom engineer, inventor, entrepreneur -
Nicolas Miailhe
Executive Director - “People for Global Transformation” (PGT)
Maurice Bernard
AFD DIrector - Colombia and Ecuador
Bayron Quintero
Chief Executive Officer - IDATA S.A.S.
Hernando A. Gómez
- Grupo Argos Colombia
Paola Pollmeier
Cities for Life Coordinator - Ruta N

AGENDA

02:30 pm - 03:00 pm
- Registration -
03:00 pm - 03:30 pm
Introduction and Welcome

ALEJANDRO FRANCO
Director Ruta N.
Presentation on its work and consultation results (15 minutes)

CAROLINA POZO
Director LINQ’s
Presentation on its work and event’s context (15 minutes)

03:30 pm - 04:20 pm
Panel: How to foster a city collaboration ecosystem

Participants:
Mauricio Rodas - Mayor of Quito
Federico Gutiérrez - Mayor of Medellin
Jean-Louis Missika  - Delegate from the Mayor of Paris
Salvador Villaseñor - Secretario de Desarrollo Económico de Zapopan, México

Moderator:
Maurice Bernard - AFD DIrector for Colombia and Ecuador

04:20 pm - 04:45 pm
Break and Press Interviews
04:45 pm - 05:15 pm
Keynote: Inclusion through equitable transportation by Janette Sadik -Khan

JANETTE SADIK-KHAN
Principal
Bloomberg Associates

05:15 pm - 05:45 pm
Keynote: Using Data to make our cities more inclusive by Steven Adler

STEVEN ADLER
Chief Data Strategist at IBM

05:45 pm - 06:00 pm
Questions and Answers for Keynote Speakers and closing remarks by Nicolas Miailhe
06:00 pm - 07:00 pm
Networking cocktail (By invitation only)

NETWORKS SOCIAL

REGISTRATION

 
   


LiNQ